Tuesday 3 January 2017

A quick trip

December 9-10: My plan was to get to the trapline, spend one day running the entire line, spend that night there, and then head to the Ranch in the morning where I was falling extremely far behind. A lack of snow there meant it was impossible to get any coyote snares up because without seeing tracks, where would you put them? Sure there's the odd proven trail but without an established bait station, you're limited. My bait station had yet to be established so up to this point, it was purely a guessing game. But now some snow would allow me to not only use the snowmobile, but to also find some tracks.

I spent a long day running the trapline, again with limited success. The weasels were starting to pick up and I caught several along with a few squirrels. The snowfall had started to pick up as well, making it much easier to get around on the snowmobile. I managed to get a few more lynx cubbies up and a couple of trail sets. I was starting to realize that it might take several cubbies and trail sets to realize my lynx quota, as the handsome cats had plenty to eat - snowshoe hare tracks are at the highest I'd ever seen them. I had several lynx simply just walk by my cubbies without giving them a second glance. Disappointed I might be going home without a cat, I was suddenly surprised when the last cubby of my run produced a nice male.

My first lynx of the season!
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment