Sunday 15 December 2013

The Trapping Season From Hell

December 13 - 15, 2013: I knew there would be a lot of snow at the trapline, just because the weather over most of north-central Alberta has been snow, snow and more snow for much of December. Highway 16 was in terrible shape and we spent most of it at speeds of less than 90 kmh. When we hit Highway 32 to Peers, the first thing we came across was a semi on its side in the ditch. This Highway was in brutal condition.

Highway 16 not too far out of Edmonton.
Highway 32 to Peers.

We parked at the compressor station and started our five-mile trek to the cabin in nearly two-feet of new snow. The Ski-doo was working hard pulling the sled through the deep snow and by the time we reached the cabin, I knew I wouldn't be able to pull the sled and Dakota up Pipeline Trail; the snow was just too deep.

Look at the snow! Moose tracks were all over the yard.
Once we were unpacked and loaded up with our trapping supplies, we headed out to try and run as much of the north end as we could. After getting stuck and having to dig out for the third time, I definitely knew Pipeline Trail was going to have to wait for another day. We also wouldn't be able to replenish our bait station. I wanted to get some snares up on the coyote trails coming into it but that too would have to wait. Even Grizzly Road was two-feet deep of snow across it. We had worked our butts off and hardly got anywhere; the sled was just too much of a drag in the deep snow. It was dark when we returned to the cabin, having caught one ermine. Which was surprising, as every trap we checked was buried out of sight, including the two lynx cubbies we have on this end.

Looking out the cabin window.

Saturday was a disaster. The weather had warmed dramatically and now all the deep snow was real "heavy" deep snow, making our lives miserable. We weren't even near the Crossover Trail and we had already dug out three times. Pulling the sled just wasn't going to work. We returned to the cabin and unhooked the sled. I grabbed what I figured I would need, bid Dakota farewell, and headed back to South Trail by myself. It would be the only way to make an attempt on the south end of the trapline.

I didn't get too far, when on Smiley Rock Road I got sucked out of our trail and down into the steep ditch that runs along the road. Twenty minutes later, I was back on the trail, just a little warmer now. I reached the last place we'd made it to with the sled without another incident and then started heading across the large cutblock on South Trail. However, it wasn't too long before I was stuck again. Our trail was completely covered and non-existent. I was simply doing my best to guess where it was and the deep snow was often dictating where I went. After a third dig out, I turned the Ski-doo around, pointed it toward home and shut the engine off. I sat there in the middle of nowhere wondering how I was going to do this. The snow was beginning to settle but it was just too heavy and sticky. And once again, even if I made it to Broken Bridge Hill, would I go down it, knowing that I wouldn't be able to get back up it if I had to. It was deja vu all over again. With warmer weather forecast, the snow would settle and then when the weather got cold again, it would freeze a hard top and we'd be able to run the line again. But my concern was the traps that we had set. Most would be buried but there was a chance we'd caught something that might end up a meal for another creature. Dejected, I started the Ski-doo and headed back to the cabin.

The sled that acted like a drag in the heavy snow.
We spent the rest of the day shoveling paths around the cabin and doing chores. There is always something to do when you're a trapper. Dakota refreshed his mink set along the creek near the cabin. He has been trying to catch a mink there since last season without luck and was hoping his luck would change this year. That night, in plus weather, it started to rain, which I deemed to be a good thing. It would help to settle the snow, giving our next attempt at South Trail better odds.

We'll have to shovel the snow away from the cabin soon.

The snow acts as an insulator, meaning less wood has to be burned in the wood stove.

The next morning we packed up our gear and loaded it into the sled, getting ready for the trip to the compressor station and then home. Dakota made one last check of his mink set and was whooping his pleasure at a catch. Finally he had a mink! I congratulated him for his persistence and started to think that maybe our luck would begin to change.

The mink is to Dakota's right. He came out of the water next to the trap.
You can see how close his trap is to the cabin.
The mink has incredibly soft fur. Only the lynx has nicer fur by my estimation.
Our catch from the trapline so far this year:
4   Beaver
9   Marten
26 Ermine
2   Squirrels
1   Mink

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment