Monday 4 February 2013

Feels like spring

It almost feels strange, this not having to go so hard. Since October, I have been on my trapline every week and February marks month five. Trapping is tough work; in fact, morning to nightfall and until bedtime, the trapper is on the go, working the trapline during the day and preparing fur in the evening, along with the many other chores that need attention around the cabin. And the more successful you are, the more work there is to do. But it is an enjoyable work, one that leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment and living a lifestyle few get to experience. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

With just 17 snares out, 9 on the wolf bait station and 6 on the moose kill site, as well as two on a coyote trail, there is little to check; especially when care needs to be taken not to disturb a site too much. Short of adding some bait to the bait station and a quick check of snares, there is nothing else that needs to be done. So, what used to take me an entire day, is now down to a couple of hours. I would put out more snares but I fear I'll catch another lynx, as they are so abundant. And my coyote and fox population here is pathetic. They're here alright, but in such low numbers that I've never heard a single coyote howl in a year.

On this check of the wolf bait station, Dakota and I became excited when we discovered a lone wolf was headed directly to our bait site. The wind must have been wrong though because he passed right by without giving it a second look. Further up the trail, however, he did enter the bush but again, missed the bait site.

Here you can see the wolf track down our trail. To the right, and in about 25 metres, is our bait station.
With seeing only fresh lynx tracks (everywhere) and the one lone wolf track that wasn't so fresh, we headed back to the cabin to do a little work. I wanted to clear some of the snow off our paths, take it off the roof (we had about 4-inches of new stuff), clear some wood from the front deck, and basically just enjoy what was turning out to be a gorgeous day.

Almost 10 degrees Celsius. Pretty good for February.
The snow is off the roof. Soon I'll have to shovel it away from the cabin.
Paths are all shoveled around the yard.
Enjoying a cold beer in the warm February sun.
I'll be back next weekend to check on the bait sites and my two snares. At this point, I don't think I'll be adding anymore sets, especially with a full lynx quota. With a little luck, however, we might catch a canid yet, we'll see. A wolf in my first season on this trapline would be an accomplishment.

Our catch to date:

5 lynx
10 marten
1 fisher
2 mink
2 beaver
15 ermine
25 red squirrels

The lynx, fisher and marten carcasses will be on their way to Ontario shortly, as part of a study I signed up for through the Alberta Trappers' Association. Environment Canada is doing a study to see what affects the oil and gas industry is having on our furbearers and need as many carcasses as they can get of certain species. Trappers play a part in many studies that both our provincial and federal governments do on furbearers in this country... makes good sense.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment